Family law can include a variety of civil procedures involving individual financial responsibilities within a family, custodial duties and rights, and marriage and divorce. Choosing the right attorney to help in your family-related matter is a frustrating job but it’s very important to review a few before choosing. We’ve created a list of questions to consider before starting your search.
Finding the Right Family Law Attorney
Ask Yourself These Questions
Before looking at potential family law attorneys, there are a few questions you need to be able to answer about your situation. Let’s think of a hypothetical divorce case:
- Are you going to have a clearcut, uncontested divorce?
- Is mediation possible, or has the relationship come to the point where it is necessary to have an attorney go in fighting to protect your interests?
- Do you have children, pets, or valuable property that will be under dispute?
- Are both of you employed or one unemployed?
- What were the terms of marriage? Was there a prenuptial agreement?
For some individuals, dividing assets is pretty easy. However, for those with more complex finances and assets, or children and pets, you should consider what your ideal outcome is for your children. Once you have the answers to all of these questions, it becomes easier to know exactly what type of attorney you need.
View Law Office Websites
Begin by looking at law office websites to get an idea of your various options. A good lawyer will list their office (as well as partners’) specialties. You don’t want to waste your time meeting with a lawyer that specializes in another field. You should be able to get a good idea of how many years of experience each attorney has in the area of family law, as well as education and licensing. In most cases, it is best to hire an attorney that is located near you and, of course, is licensed in the state where your legal proceedings will take place.